Zamzam is sacred water well located in Masjid Haram just 20 m east side of Khana-e-Kaba. Although thousands of gallons on water is extracted from this well daily, it is self-replenishing and it’s level is restored in small amount of time. There are many hadiths in which proves the reverence of this water.
Hazrat Ibrahim A.S left his beloved son Ismael A.S with his mother Hajra (Hagar) A.S into the valley of Mecca. At that time mecca was a dry valley surrounded by small rocky ridges. Hazrat Ismael A.S was very young at that time and he felt thirsty so, his mother Hajra A.S started looking for water. She ran here and there on the ridge to find some source of water for her young kid. With thirst, Hazrat Ismael rubbed his heels on the ground and water suddenly water gushed up from the earth. The water started to flow on the ground and Hazrat Hajra made a small boundary by a pile of sand around the spring due to which it was named as zamzam. Zamzam is onomatopoeic word that is derived from the sound associated with thing named.
Ethics of Drinking Zamzam
According to Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad Peace be Him, there are ethics of drinking zamzam water.
- There are hadiths according to which Prophet Mohammed Peace be upon him drank this water while standing.
Ibn ‘Abbas reported: I served (water from) zamzam to Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him), and he drank while standing, and he asked for it while he was near the House (i. e. House of Allah-Ka’ba).
-Sahih Muslim [Book #023, Hadith #5026]
- We should say bismillah before drinking Zamzam water.
- We should finish drinking Zamzam water in three breaths.
- One should supplicate between drinking Zamzam water, Prophet Mohammed Peace be upon him taugh this dua:
“O Allah, I seek beneficial knowledge, wide susten
ance and cure from all ailments from You”.
- We should say Allhamdulillah after drinking zamzam water.
Ibn ‘Abbaas may Allaah be pleased with him said: “If you drink Zam-Zam water drink your fill, turn towards the Qiblah, say “Bismillaah” (in the name of Allaah) and breath three times and when you finish, you should say “Alhamdu lillaah” (All perfect praise be to Allaah).”
Virtues of Drinking Zamzam water
- It is recommended for pilgrims who visit holy mosque for Hajj and Umrah to drink water from Zamzam well because it is sunnah of Prophet Mohammed Peace be upon Him.
- Zamzam water also have healing power and it can be used as a cure. It is reported that Prophet Mohammed Peace be upon him brought Zamzam to Medina in pitchers and water skins. He sprinkled zamzam water over sick and also told them to drink for cure. (Baihaqi)
- The Zamzam water is also good for health as it contain minerals required for healthy life.
- It is also said that this was not only serves to relieve thirst but it also have energy as food. Hazrat Abu Zarr Ghaffari lived without food for 40 days by drinking only this water. He reported that he never felt hungry and weak during this period of time.
- Prophet Mohammed Peace be upon him said
“The water of Zamzam is for whatever purpose it is drunk for.” (Reported by Ibn Maajah, 2/1018”
As the above hadith shows that it serves for whatever purpose it is drunk for, the righteous people in Islam used Zamzam water with sincere intentions such as seeking cure for sick people, forgiveness of sins, relieving the thirst of doomsday etc.
- The water of Zamzam has also been medically and chemically proven to contain elements that are beneficial for the stomach, liver, intestines and kidneys.